Day: July 5, 2018

PRESS RELEASE- T&T maintains tier two ranking in its response to human trafficking

The Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago continues to demonstrate increasing efforts in the fight against human trafficking.

According to the United States Department of State Trafficking in Persons (TiPs) Report 2018, Trinidad and Tobago maintains its Tier 2 ranking.

The annual report acknowledged the strides made through measures taken by Government, including:

• Expanding authorities to collect intelligence on trafficking crimes.

• Creating new task forces on intelligence gathering and prosecution to increase law enforcement’s ability to investigate and prosecute trafficking cases.

• Government’s collaboration with INTERPOL on investigations of four potential trafficking cases.

• Increased anti-trafficking training for public officials.

The Ministry of National Security notes the recommendations made in the report specific to Trinidad and Tobago with regard to expanding victim services, victim identification and victim screening.

It should be underscored that significant work has already been undertaken by the Ministry’s Counter Trafficking Unit (CTU) which continues to give priority to educating persons on the crime of Trafficking in Persons. Sensitization workshops have been conducted for students of primary and secondary schools, school safety officers, school supervisors, officials employed in the hospitality and tourism industry and law enforcement officers.

The CTU in collaboration with other Government departments and Non-Governmental Organisations continue efforts in increasing public awareness on human trafficking, the provision of victim support and bringing perpetrators to justice.

Members of the public who have information on suspected human trafficking activity should contact the Counter Trafficking Unit (CTU) toll-free hotline at 800-4288 (4CTU).

“We need a revolution in media and we need to start reporting the positive” – Young

Following the first meeting of the Lisa Agard led board- in the last week of July, Caribbean New Media Group (CNMG) will be known as TTT Ltd, with a new logo which staff is expected to see from today.

Speaking with employees of the three radio stations and one tv station that comprise CNMG on Tuesday, Communications Minister Stuart Young assured that no jobs will be lost in the rebranding.

Young expressed that his focus is different from the former Communications Minister Maxie Cuffie’s plan to wind up CNMG and launch a new and improved TTT.

Young said the name TTT will be used but is not an acronym for Trinidad and Tobago Television, as was the case with the original TTT.

The reason is that CNMG also comprises three radio stations and the media landscape is changing so TTT will not be limited to television.

Last August, under Cuffie, a decision was made to shut down CNMG and re-emerge as TTT, with staff being retrenched and having to reapply for their positions. Cuffie stated that the reason for the closing of CNMG was low revenue and high expenses.

After close to a year of staff feeling uneasy, Young announced last week that the rebranding will not cause job losses.

He told the staff that he has a point to prove to Cabinet to take CNMG particularly CTV, to the top spot.

“We are not going to be a propaganda station. I don’t follow in anything in life, I lead. We need a revolution in media and we need to start reporting the positive because we are weighed down with negativity and the media has the power to change the narrative,” Young told the staff.

Young said while at the time no job was being affected the board will be looking at the viability of each entity as TTT Ltd will not be “carrying around dead weight”. He added that after the board meets that day both managerial and other staff will be looked at and anyone who is deemed to be “clogging” the way for profitability will be removed.